Tree-Ripe Fruit Co.
Cook time: 40 Minutes
Inactive time: 25 Minutes
Total time: 1 Hour 35 Minutes
Number of servings: 8
This recipe features our Georgia peaches from Pearson Farm available every late June through early August.
•5lbs Peaches (Approx. 8-10 peaches0
•½ cup Brown sugar
•1 Tbsp Cornstarch
•1/8 Tsp Cinnamon
•1/8 Tsp Nutmeg
•1/4 Tsp Ground ginger
•¼ Tsp Kosher salt
•½ Tsp Orange zest
•1 Tbsp lemon juice
•2 Cups All-purpose flour
•½ cup Granulated sugar
•2 tbsp baking powder
•½ Tsp Baking soda
•¾ Tsp Kosher salt
•6 tbsp Unsalted butter, cold and cubed
•4 tbsp Lard, cold and cubed
•1 cup Buttermilk
•1 Tsp Orange zest
•1 Tsp Vanilla extract
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Make an ice bath in a large bowl. Score the bottom of each peach by making an 2-inch wide “X” with a paring knife.
- Working 2 to 3 at a time place peaches into the boiling water for 45 seconds. Transfer peaches to the ice bath. Repeat until all peaches are blanched.
- Using a paring knife peel the skin from the peaches starting at the score marks. Slice peaches in half and then slice each peach half into quarters.
- Combine peaches and brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, kosher salt, orange zest, and lemon juice. Transfer peaches into a 13-inch baking pan.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees and bake peaches for 15-20 minutes until fruit filling begins to thicken and bubble.
- While the peaches are baking, combine all dry topping ingredients flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt.
- Cut cold cubed butter and lard into dry ingredients. Mix until consistency is course.
- Add buttermilk, orange zest, and vanilla and mix until ingredients are just combined. Do not overwork mix.
- Break up dough into rough biscuits.
- Pull the peach filling from the oven when completed, and place biscuits on top.
- Lower oven temperature to 415. Return pan into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown. Cool on wire rack for 25 minutes and serve warm.