Peach Hand Pies
Tree-Ripe Fruit Co.
Cook time: 55 Minutes
Inactive time: 30 Minutes
Total time: 2 hr 55 mins
Number of servings: 8
This recipe features our Georgia peaches from Pearson Farm available mid June to early August. 🍑
▪3 cups all-purpose flour
▪1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
▪1 tablespoon granulated sugar
▪10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
▪4 tablespoons cold shortening
▪2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
▪1/2 cup +1 tablespoon cold water, divided
▪2 tablespoons sugar, raw
▪4 peaches, peeled and cubed
▪⅓ cup light brown sugar
▪1 teaspoon kosher salt
▪¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
▪1 pinch ground nutmeg
▪2 tablespoons cornstarch
▪2 teaspoon lemon juice
▪1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Pulse flour, 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt,1 tablespoon granulated sugar, in a food processor until dry ingredients are combined.
- Cube cold butter and shortening and add to food processor. Pulse until butter and shortening have combined with the flour and looks like coarse pebbles.
- Mix 1/3 cup cold water, 1 egg, and apple cider vinegar. Sprinkle mixture into dough mix and pulse until the dough is sticky.
- Place dough on a cutting board dusted with flour and shape into two 6-inch disc. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Heat peaches, brown sugar, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg in a pot until peaches soften, about 10 minutes.
- Combine, lemon juice, lemon zest, and corn starch in a bowl. Add to peaches and whisk. Bing to a light boil until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface until it is 1/6 inch thick. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut dough rounds.
- Fill half of the dough rounds with peach filling making sure to leave a ¼ inch edge around the dough round for pinching hand pies shut.
- Lightly water the edges of the filled pie with a finger dipped in water. Place a plain dough round on top of each filled dough. Use a fork to press around the top dough edge to the bottom dough.
- Whisk egg and 1 tablespoon water together for egg wash. Brush each top of pie with egg wash and sprinkle with raw sugar. With a sharp knife cut a small “X” shaped air hole in the top of each pie.
- Place pies on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until the pies are golden brown. Rotate the pans halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven, remove pies from pan, and place on cooling rack for 30 minutes before serving warm, or cool completely for 30 minutes.