Strawberry “Slab Pie”
Tree-Ripe Fruit Co.
Cook time: 35 Minutes
Inactive time: 2 Hours cooling
Total time: 5 Hours 5 Minutes
Number of servings: 18
This recipe features our Michigan strawberries available every spring. 🍓
•4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
•1 tablespoon kosher salt
•1 ½ tablespoon granulated sugar
•18 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
•6 tablespoons shortening
•2 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
•¾ cup +1 tablespoon cold water, divided
•2 tablespoons sugar, raw
•3 pounds strawberries, stemmed and quartered
•1 cup sugar
•1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
•2 tablespoons cornstarch
•2 tablespoon Sure-Jell
•1 tablespoon fresh lemon
•1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lightly grease 18×13-inch sheet pan.
- Pulse flour,1 tablespoon kosher salt,,1 ½ tablespoon granulated sugar in a food processor until dry ingredients are combined
- Cube cold butter and shortening and add to food processor. Pulse until butter and shortening have combined with the flour and looks like coarse pebbles.
- Mix ¾ cup cold water and apple cider vinegar. Sprinkle mixture onto dough, mix and pulse until dough is sticky.
- Place dough on a cutting board dusted with flour and shape into 3 6-inch discs. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Puree 1 ½ cups of misshapen strawberries.
- Combine sugar, kosher salt, toss with quartered strawberries, and place in a colander inside of a bowl to catch juice drippings. Let strawberries drain for 30 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and Sure-Jell in a bowl. Whisk with collected quartered strawberry juice.
- Combine strawberry juice and strawberry puree. Heat in pot on medium high heat. Bring to a boil for two minutes to thicken while constantly whisking.
- Remove the puree from heat, add lemon, vanilla extract, and let puree cool to room temperature.
- Roll two dough discs into a 19×14-inch rectangle. Place in a rimmed baking sheet, form edges of crust, and dock. Roll third dough disc into rectangle for top pie crust lattice.
- Cut top pie crust for a lattice.
- Turn oven to 400.
- Mix quartered strawberries and puree. Evenly spread strawberry filling in pie crust.
- Weave dough lattice on top of strawberries. Crimp ends of lattice to the edge of the bottom pie crust.
- Whisk egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Brush top crust with egg wash and sprinkle dough with raw sugar.
- Bake pie for 28-35 minutes until the crust is brown.
- Place on cooling rack for 2 hours. Cut and serve.